Adisha
Lot of people read books, and lot of people don't. Many a times when I'm seen with my current interest, I hear the comment similar to," How is it that you can read so much? "or the more common, " I could never read that way.". I wonder why people forget that going through newspapers, and surfing the net also is just reading. :)

I love disappearing into the make believe worlds my imagination creates. Love the smell of old and new books, though Some books plain stink these days :). I still say movies can't live up to the charm of the book. I love the feel of each page passing through my fingers. Don't get me wrong. I surf the net as much as the next person, yet the thought of cozying up into a blanket on my bed under my bedside lamp, specially on a rainy day is a piece of heaven to me.

I started when I was young. Then, there was little for kid to do, other than stay at home and study, watch television or read. My cousins gave me their Archies and I was addicted. Then came Richie Rich, Tinkle, Chandamama, Amar Chitra Katha. Moving onto Famous Five, Secret Seven, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew. Then came the eternal murder mysteries courtesy Agatha Cristie, Perry Mason. Then came the Danielle Steeles and Sydney Sheldons. How can I not mention, the evergreen Readers Digest as a source of information on most walks of life ( Sadly, they and all other magazines have gotten monotonous in their list of articles with time ). And then, being a romantic, the Mills and Boons types were a staple diet. One day after picking up a book my elder cousin back from college, left behind [ As the crow flies ] , I was hooked on Jeffry Archer. Something actually shifted inside me. Am only two three books away from completing my collection of Jeffrey Archer's books but then he too is getting increasingly dissappointing. Soon came the tide of the series - Harry Potter, Bourne and Dan Brown though my thought process further grew with the readings of, Ayn Rand, Wilbur Smith, James Patterson, Jackie Collins even. I mention all the above for even after all these years, I have not outgrown Any of the above ... The characters, their life, their statements.

When younger, we used to vist our Aunt every year, in Goa. Our uncle, and His sisters were avid readers when they were young and had a library to die for. My bro and I would run for That room as soon as we could, to go through as many books as we could get our greedy little hands on, specially to sit in the balcony by the sea and get lost in the piles next to us.. Come to think of it, it was like candy to us. Even if it meant reading slyly, at the cost of our studies or getting scolded. If given an option, we always asked for books as gifts. They gave us soothing company through long journeys, boring moments, lonely times or when seeking alone time. Till date, even though he's 10 years younger to me, we discuss all sorts of books we've come across. He's heavily into Manga and Stephen King these days, and I just don't get it ( generation gap finally hitting I guess ?! ) .

I still say movies can't live up to the charm of the book. There is never a dull moment, when I have a book close at hand. I believe, most books influence the way we think and in some or the other way affect our lives by touching a part of us, we never knew existed. Though I try to widen my net of authors and subjects, often I find myself wishing I was as diligent a student. :D

Still books will always remain a passion. Early in life, I developed a habit of always having a book close to my pillow to help soothe me to sleep, on restless days thus I'm always in company of vivid characters or esteemed authors.

The one thing I love the most about living in the United States, that is that it allows me to read as much as I can devour. I have the luxury of going to the library and picking up my own " leaning tower of piza " to keep myself occupied throughout the month. I think my husband is still amazed at the number of books I make him carry home. I even find myself collecting every book that has left an impression, so that some day I might pass on the a legacy, hopefully !! Following that line, I've read almost 200 between 2007 - 2009 and yet to my utter dismay I've realized now that there is no log of the same.

This Blog is in dedication to the Hours I spend weekly, pouring over pages that lead me to fantastic worlds of murder, mystery, romance, horror, humor or fantasy !!!

If you're an avid reader, share your story, the love you have for books and the ones that will be your favorites eternally. Keep visiting to talk some more about new worlds ....
0 Responses